Dog-Friendly Parks in the Jacksonville Area
If you are ready for some one-on-one healthy outdoor bonding time with your pooch, why not explore these dog friendly locations in (or near) Jacksonville, Florida?! Just remember, on-leash is the rule unless otherwise stated.
Great Places To Bring Your Dog
- Castaway Island Preserve: A lovely spot with more than 300 acres of coastal habitats along the San Pablo River. This peninsula exists right on the edge of a suburban setting and literally gives the feeling of a magical getaway. You'll find gopher tortoises, pine flatwoods, ibis, and wood storks. Enjoy the lovely trail, benches, and overlooks. (2885 San Pablo Rd S; Jacksonville, FL 32224 Neighborhood: Greater Arlington)
- Hanna Park: Located near the naval base in Mayport, this spectacular expanse offers 450 acres filled with trails, various points of beach access, and a 40-acre fresh water lake. This popular spot attracts people and dogs and yet still provides a sense of nature and space. (500 Wonderwood Dr; Atlantic Beach, FL 32233).
- Guana River Dam: In addition to the ocean and cross section of an undisturbed barrier island, you will find saltmarshes, a large lagoon and abundant wildlife… bird rookeries, sea turtles, and ground nesting shore birds. Archaeological and historic treasures like the aboriginal middens, burial grounds, and Spanish colonial and aboriginal artifacts make for a rare combination of enriching resources! (2690 S Ponte Vedra Blvd; Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082).
- Timucuan Preserve: Celebrated as one of the few unspoiled coastal wetlands on the Atlantic Coast, Timucuan Preserve echoes with 6,000 years of history. With hardwoods, coastal dunes and breathtaking salt marshes, Fort Caroline and Kingsley Plantation each offer a different aspect of natural and cultural history and beauty. (13165 Mt. Pleasant Road; Jacksonville, Florida 32225).
- Dog Wood Park: With 42 acres of off-leash fun – 25 are fenced! – your furry buddy can swim, run, and frolic on special canine equipment. The off-leash park contains Lake Bow Wow, the 2-acre swimming lake with a fountain; ample fields for balls and toys, 4-acres of healthy shade, a doggie sand pile, agility course, hammocks, and even a doggie shower. At night, 3-acres remain lighted until 10:00 pm. (7407 Salisbury Rd.; S. Jacksonville, FL 32256).
*We recommend contacting these parks before visiting with your dog to ensure that canine rules have not changed.